A sweet alternative to the mashed potatoes, this pumpkin is enriched with butter to get the good consistency. Cicely sometimes works for this for garnishing, too.
- Clean the pumpkin well, being careful to remove manure or dirt. Chop off the stem.
- Cook the cleaned pumpkin in a 375° F oven for approx 45 minutes per 250g. A small pumpkin of less than 500 grams works best.
- Remove the pumpkin and allow to rest for 5–10 minutes. During this time, take out sea salt, butter, and your pepper mill.
- Chop the pumpkin in half with the cleaver or the butcher knife.
- Remove seeds and guts; roast seeds and discard the rest.
- Separate the skin from the flesh.
- Place hot pumpkin flesh in a food processor, along with salt, pepper, and butter to taste. Serve plain or with other vegetables or side dishes.
Cook Time: 20 minutes preparation, approximately 90 minutes for baking
Mashed Pumpkin from the Wikibooks Cookbook—original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License