- 6 medium potatoes
- large pot of salted water
- ¼ to ⅓ cup hot milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt or amount to suit your taste
- pepper, to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks about 2 inches in size. Place in large pot of salted water (at least 1 teaspoon of salt in the water) and boil 15 minutes or until potatoes break easily when pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes well but leave them in the pot.
- Add hot milk, beginning with the smaller amount. Add butter. Mash with potato masher and add more milk, butter, salt and pepper if necessary to suit your taste.