Description EditThis savory vegetable dish starts with the real mashed potatoes and milk and delivers a rich, steamy flavor. Herbs and spices always work for this, too.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup flour (unbleached white or whole wheat)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 tsp alum-free baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste (if needed)
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the beaten egg and soy milk.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and pepper and begin stirring into the mashed potato mixture, a little at a time and mixing well, until it forms a very stiff dough.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured, flat surface until about 1" thick, and cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
- Place potato cakes on a baking sheet and bake for 10–15 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve warm and plain or with any vegetable, main dish, or side dish.
Instead of baking, just have the first 3 steps ready before cooking in oil in a large, frying pan. Have the herbs and spices ready to mix, if desired.