Stuffed tomato with Chopped (ground) Beef. Mahshee is also made with courgettes, green peppers and aubergines (known as Eggplant to our American friends!). The cucumbers are peeled, cut lengthwise, scooped out, filled and finished as below. You may also use Eggplants. Peel small Eggplants, remove the tops, scoop out interiors and proceed in the same manner. The cucumber dish is garnished with fresh cucumber slices and the Eggplant with tomato and cucumber slices overlapping all around the edge.
- 2 Ibs. Ground Beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (or 2 cloves mashed)
- 4 Tbs. CHOPPED FRESH DILL (or 1 tsp. dried dill)
- 2 Tbs. salad oil
- 1 cup COOKED rice
- 8 large tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 6-oz. cans tomato PASTE
- 2 6 oz. cans water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Take 2 Ibs. CHOPPED Beef, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. garlic powder (or 2 cloves mashed), 4 Tbs. CHOPPED FRESH DILL (or 1 tsp. dried dill) in 2 Tbs. salad oil and fry untime meat browns.
- Add 1 cup COOKED rice and blend.
- Cut a Slit in 8 large tomatoes (very firm), halfway across the center.
- Squeeze at the sides to open the slit.
- Scoop out all the flesh from inside of tomatoes with a spoon.
- Refill tomato with Beef mixture and close the tomato.
- Melt 2 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the tomatoes carefully in the fat, rolling them gently until they become dark red on all sides.
- Prepare sauce as follows and pour over the tomatoes:
- Combine: 2 6-oz. cans tomato PASTE thinned with 2 6 oz. cans water, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. garlic powder.
- Simmer the tomatoes gently over low flame for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce is cooked.
- Remove carefully to a 15-inch round platter.
- Surround with raw tomatoes cut in thick slices.
- Top each slice with green olives.
- If there is more Maschi filling left over after filling the tomatoes place it in a suitable pan and bake it alongside the tomatoes.