Sun-dried lentil-vegetable balls
- 4 cups split black lentil, pre-soaked overnight
- 2 cups finely chopped onion, scallions, radish, cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups masauras
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon chile paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- In a blender, combine soaked lentil, water, salt and pepper to for smooth paste.
- Reserve the paste in a large bowl.
- To the lentil paste, add chopped vegetables; mix thoroughly to incorporate all ingredients.
- Make 1-inch balls of the mixture and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Allow sun-drying until the ball are completely dehydrated.
- Food dehydrator can be used instead.
- Package the dehydrated lentil balls in air-tight container.
- In a large non-stick saute pan, heat three tablespoons of oil and fry masauras until golden brown.
- Reserve in a large plate.
- To the same saute pan, add the remaining two tablespoons of oil.
- Fry fenugreek and cumin seeds until dark.
- Add chopped onions and fry until lightly browned.
- Add potatoes, salt and pepper to the onion mixture and fry on low heat for ten minutes or so until potatoes are lightly browned cooked half way.
- Add cumin and coriander and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add browned masauras to the potato mixture followed by tomatoes and milk.
- Cover and allow simmering for 10–15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked tender and a desired consistency of the stew has been achieved.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with steamed rice.