- Clean and scale whole fish and remove insides.
- Cut 3 large deep diagonal gashes on each side.
- Combine 1 tbsp coarse salt, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp coarse red pepper, ground, for each fish.
- Rub salt mixture well into gashes on both sides.
- Fry in 1 cup hot oil until light brown.
- Reduce heat and continue frying slowly until fish is quite brown but not burned.
- Lift fish from fat.
- Wrap in brown paper while still hot, cool, and refrigerate.
- The fish will stay fresh for two weeks or longer if refrigerated.