- Ethnicity - Awadhi, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 1/2 kg tender okra (bhindi), washed and dried
- 1 large Onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsps oil
- salt to taste
Mixture No. 1
Mixture No. 2
Mixture No. 3
- Fry in oil and grind to a paste 1 Onion, chopped, 4 cloves garlic, minced, 1/2 cup coconut, grated.
- Now Make into a paste 1/2 cup tamarind juice and salt to taste.
- Thirdly, Grind into a paste 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 3 green chillies, chopped. 3 tbsps coriander leaves.
- Cut off the tips and stalks of okra. Slit each down to 3/4th of it's length.
- Mix all three ground pastes and stuff the bhindis with the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped Onion and fry till it's brown in colour.
- Add turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder and salt to taste. Saute for a minute.
- Arrange the stuffed bhindis over this masala. Cover with a deep lid and pour water into the lid.
- Cook on a low flame till bhindis get softer. Serve hot with parathas.