Russian Easter bread
Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- ½ cup each sugar and shortening
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pkg. yeast (mom always used Red Star® - regular, not quick)
- 6 cups flour, plus (mom always used Robin Hood®)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups milk or 1 cup warm water with 3 tsp dry milk powder, and 1 cup milk
- 1 cup golden raisins (sultanas)
- Place dry ingredients in bowl.
- Warm milk (or milk and water), add eggs and vanilla.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and work together about 4 minutes.
- Cover and rest dough 10 minutes.
- Add raisins and knead for 8–10 minutes or until hands remain clean from dough.
- Add flour as necessary, but do not make the dough very stiff, the softer, the better.
- Raise until double, punch down, shape and raise again. Bake at 400 °F for 40–50 minutes.
- To shape in traditional manner, divide dough in half.
- Place each in a 3 lbs (or as close as possible to that size) clean coffee can, reserving a little dough from each to make a cross-shaped braid on top.
- Raise until double.
- Before baking, brush with beaten egg over top generously.