- 6 oz / 175 g butter or margarine
- 2 oz / 50 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp / 60 ml golden syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 oz / 150 g ginger marmalade, or Seville marmalade
- 10 oz / 275 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp / 5 ml baking powder
- 1 oz / 25 g crystallised ginger, chopped
- 3 – 4 tbsp / 45 – 60 ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml marmalade to decorate
- 1 oz / 25 g crystallised ginger, sliced, to decorate
- Preheat oven to mark 4 / 350°F / 180°C.
- Grease and line tin.
- cream butter sugar and syrup together until very pale.
- Gradually stir in eggs and marmalade alternately with sifted flour and baking powder and ginger.
- Add sufficient orange juice to give a soft dropping consistency and spoon mixture into tin evenly.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until golden and firm to touch.
- Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.