- 2 lbs beef chuck, in one piece
- 5 qts cold water
- 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 6 whole carrots, cleaned
- 3 ribs of celery, cut in half
- 3 parsley root, peeled, cut in half and parsley greens
- 2 parsnips, peeled, cut in half
- 3 medium onions washed but unpeeled
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 potatoes, peeled and halved
- Sear meat in pot.
- (this gives greater flavor and color).
- Cover with water.
- Let it come to a boil and skim the foam off.
- Add salt, peppercorns, and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Stick 2 cloves into each onion.
- Add the carrots, celery, parsley root and greens, parsnips and onions.
- Cover and simmer slowly for about 2 hours.
- Add potatoes last hour of cooking.