Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group from Montréal, Québec
- 4 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 ribs of celery, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium purple onion, diced
- 5 strips of bacon, torn into pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 quarts water
- Start by frying the Bacon in a 2 gallon stockpot over medium heat.
- When the bacon is about half cooked, add in the onions, parsley, garlic and celery. Cook until the onions and celery are softened.
- Add 4 quarts of water to the stockpot. Bring to a boil and then add in the potatoes. Cook for 40 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally.
- After 40 minutes, spoon about ½ of the potatoes with liquid into a blender. Turn the blender on purée and run until all the potatoes are blended into the liquid.
- Add the puréed potatoes back into the pot along with the salt, pepper and half-and-half.
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes, covered. Stir frequently.
- Serve garnished with grated Cheddar cheese and with warm French bread. Season to taste.