Sweet ragoût of quince and lamb
- 1¼ pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed of all fat and cubed
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried and ground rose petals or ¼ teaspoon rose water
- salt to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds quince , peeled, cut into eights, and cored
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 2/3 cups sugar
- In a medium-size bowl, toss the lamb together with the cinnamon, rose petals or rose water, and salt.
- In a medium-size casserole, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and brown the lamb, about 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the quince, cover with the water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 1 hour, uncovered.
- Add the sugar and stir.
- Cover and cook until the lamb is very tender and the quince soft, about another hour.
- Remove to a serving platter with a slotted spoon and serve.