Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pronounced mock shoe.
Prudhomme says to use the freshest and sweetest corn available. This time of year i figured frozen corn would be better than fresh, so i used green giant extra sweet, which was actually a little too sweet. I think it was one of those new hybrids that are super sweet and also extra crispy. To make it again i"d use half extra sweet and half regular. I also threw in the last of a can of golden hominy, which actually made a nice contrast in taste and texture, so actually next time i might end up with three kinds of corn in it—how"s that for gourmet cooking! the red bell pepper was my idea, since i thought the color would be a nice touch. Tastes wonderful. I bought the tiny cans of prune juice since i figured i wouldn"t be able to use up a big jar. I also just used dry milk made up double concentrated instead of evaporated milk.
- 2 cup chopped onion, in all
- 1 cup chopped celery, in all
- 4 cup fresh corn kernels, in all (see below)
- 2 cup stock, in all (or one 14½ oz can of stock)
- ½ cup apple juice
- ½ cup prune juice (or one 5½ oz can)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk (or ½ cup mixed double strength from dry)
- ¼ cup non-fat milk powder
Seasoning mix Edit
- 1½ tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp salt (omit if canned stock is used)
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tbsp dry mustard
- ¼ tbsp black pepper
- ¼ tbsp white pepper (i didn't have any)
- combine seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl
- combine 1 cup onions, ½ cup celery and 2 cups corn in a blender (or food processor) with ½ cup stock. Puree until completely smooth.
- place the pureed mixture in a hot skillet and cook scraping periodically for 12 to 13 minutes. Prudhomme says this is the most important step in developing the flavor. Cook a few minutes until a crust forms, scrape of the crust in and mix well. Allow another crust to form, blend in and repeat until the mixture is very thick and dark brown.
- at the end of 12 minutes or so, add apple and prune juice, remaining vegetables, seasoning mix and stock. Scrape to clear bottom of skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 35 minutes, checking bottom of skillet for sticking (especially near the end)
- combine dry milk powder and evaporated milk until completely dissolved. Add to skillet while stirring, bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1 cup serving: calories 264, protein 12 gram, fat 1 gram, carbohydrates:55 g, percent calories from fat: 5%.