- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Whisk maple syrup, yolks and egg in medium bowl to blend.
- Combine cream and milk in a heavy medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture.
- Divide custard among prepared dishes.
- Set dishes into roasting pan.
- Add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Bake custards until set in center, about 55 minutes.
- Chill custard uncovered until cold, at least 5 hours. (can be made a day ahead).
- Cover; keep refrigerated.
- Before serving, top with maple sugar and burnish carefully with a blow torch, or put under the broiler 2 minutes until sugar is melted.