Tangy, spicy, sweet and it won't wreck your meal plan. Try this on roast pork or chicken. The sauce may be stored a few days in the refrigerator and warmed prior to serving. The recipe doubles nicely if you need more.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- 4 Servings
- 1 large tart apple - Granny Smith or gala
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon - ground
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice - about ½ a small lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- Core and thinly slice the apple (about ¼ inch slices).
- Squeeze the lemon juice and peel off a small amount of rind.
- Carefully slice away the white pith leaving mainly the colored portion of the peel. Very finely dice this skin ur use a zester to cut off fine strips of peel.
- Place the EVOO in a warm pan then add the apples and saute them gently for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the apples then add the lemon zest.
- After another minute or so they should start to lightly brown.
- Add the lemon juice (this will stop the browning) and remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the maple syrup, mix and allow to cool slightly.
Nutritional information Edit
Per ¼ cup serving:
- Cals: 34 | FatCals: 11 | Total Fat: 1g | SatFat: 0g | PolyFat: 0g | MonoFat: 1g | Chol: 0mg | Ma: 13mg | K: 44mg | TotCarbs: 6g | Fiber: 1g | Sugars: 3g | NetCarbs: 5g | Prot: 0g