This simple dessert captures the glorious flavor of mango like no other. Its texture is silky rich, and its flavor, simply wonderful. Fresh cream is called for in the original recipe, but evaporated milk gives it the same richness without the fat.
NOTE: Organic ingredients are recommended. Serves 8. (Best eaten within a day.)
- 2 env (1 tbsp) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c hot water
- 3 c pureed fresh mangoes
- 1 c 2% evaporated milk
- 8 ice cubes
- lime wedges, optional
- fresh mango slices or strawberries for garnish, optional
- Add gelatin and sugar to hot water and mix until dissolved and smooth.
- In large bowl, mix mango puree, evaporated milk and ice cubes.
- Pour gelatin mixture into mango mixture and stir until ice cubes are melted.
- Pour mixture into jelly mould and chill until set, at least 3 hrs.
- To serve, dip jelly mould briefly in hot water then turn pudding out onto platter.
- Squeeze on some lime juice, garnish with mango slices if desired and serve.