Use as a condiment with any meal, choose hard mangoes for this recipe.
- 2 large green slightly under-ripe mangoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tbsp white vinegar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 5 black cardamom pods (opened to expose seeds)
- ½ tsp nigella seeds
- 20 cloves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Peel mangoes and julienne 1 – 1½ pieces.
- Discard seed and place into large pot.
- Stir in all spices.
- Bring to boil stirring 4 – 5 minutes, reduce heat.
- Cover the pan and simmer until slightly thick about 15 minutes (chutney will thicken while it cools also).
- Let chutney cool completely and place in sterile fruit jar.
- Keeps the same as preserves.