Cook time: 30 minutes
'Marshmallow' Pudding - named for its spongy texture; a cross-between steamed pudding and cake. It is rich, delicious and indulgent and part of any gourmet tour of Cape Town.
- 1 heaped tablespoon butter
- 3 heaped tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the beaten egg and jam and beat together
- Add the dry ingredients and milk alternately and stir into the mixture
- Pour the batter into a greased round dish approx 21cm / 8 inches
- Cover either with a lid or tinfoil and bake at 180C / 375F for 30 minutes until the top is browned and a skewer comes out clean
- Serve warm with custard and cream.