Stuffed cabbage Leaves
- 48 oz cabbage
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 14 oz minced meat
- ¼ cup lemon juice (optional)
- ¼ cup shortening or butter
- ¼ cup Seville orange juice
- 1 tsp salt
- a dash of ground paprika
- a dash of ground cinnamon
- a dash of ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium head crushed garlic
- ½ tsp dried mint (optional)
- 1 tbsp pomegranate thickened juice
- Peel off cabbage leaves.
- Blanch some leaves in boiling water for few minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and put in cold water then put in a colander.
- Repeat same procedure with remaining leaves.
- Mix rice with minced meat, spices and salt.
- Place cabbage leaf, shiny side down, on a work surface.
- Cut into 2 or 3 pieces (depending on size of leaf).
- Place crosswise about a tbls of stuffing (depending on the size of leaf), and fold ends.
- Roll firmly and repeat procedure with remaining leaves.
- Place ½ cup of butter in a pot.
- Pack leaf rolls close together in layers.
- Invert a heavy plate on top to keep rolls in shape during cooking.
- Add to pot lemon juice, seville orange juice, 3 cups of water, pomegranate juice, garlic, dry mint, and a dash of salt.
- Bring to a boil on moderate heat.
- Cover pot.
- Cook on low heat for 2 hours or until tender (add water if evaporated).
- Serve hot accompanied by radishes.
- Note: you can add some stuffed zucchini.