- 2 cups (about 1 pound) dry red beans or kidney beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 or 2 cups of coconut milk or whole milk
- sugar to taste (2 to 4 tablespoons)
- a few cardamom seeds, or a quarter teaspoon ground cardamom
- teaspoon salt
- 2 onions, chopped (optional)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder (optional)
- 1 small chile pepper, cleaned and chopped (optional even for savory beans)
- Rinse and drain soaked beans.
- Place beans in a large cooking pot and add fresh water to cover.
- Bring to a fast boil and cook for ten minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are nearly tender.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook until all is tender, stirring occasionally.