- 1 large eggplant (about 9 inches long)
- a little oil for the baking tray
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt (more, to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram or oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup (packed) finely minced parsley
- 2 small scallions, very finely minced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, minced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, minced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
Optional Garnishes Edit
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Spread the eggplant cubes onto a lightly oiled baking tray, and roast in the oven about 15 minutes, or until tender enough so a fork can slide in easily.
- Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, and lemon juice in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the still-warm eggplant and stir.
- Cover, and let sit for at least 2 hours (at this stage, it will keep in the refrigerator for several days).
- Add the remaining vegetables within an hour or two of serving.
- Serve garnished with olives and yogurt or crumbled feta cheese.