- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Grease and flour a 15 x 10 x 2-inch sheet cake pan or 10-inch bundt pan.
- In large bowl, cream together the butter and Sugar with an electric mixer on high speed.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through baking soda).
- Combine wet ingredients (milk through vanilla).
- On low speed alternately add dry and wet ingredients to batter.
- Stir in coconut.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and gently fold into batter just until mixed.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake at 350° 1-1¼ hours until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Start cake cooling and make syrup:.
- Combine water through 3 cups Sugar in a saucepan, bring to a boil—stirring until Sugar dissolves—and let boil 5 minutes.
- Remove syrup from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Pour syrup over cake and let cool completely.