- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 pints milk
- 2 tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ pints pesto jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz dried tomatoes (oil packed), drained and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 36 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 6 California avocados, diced
- To make cheese sauce, melt butter; stir in flour.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in cheese until it melts and is completely incorporated.
- Stir in tomato and parsley; reserve.
- Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until almost done.
- Drain well.
- Bake at 350°F until lightly browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
To bake individual servings, put approximately 1⅓ cups pasta mixture in each of 24 buttered gratinee dishes. Bake at 350°F until lightly browned and bubbly, about 15 minutes