Macaroni and Cheese from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Soft, moist, and nourishing, this recipe is just as popular with or without milk.
- Cook Time: About 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 – 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dry mustard (optional)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Measure milk into the pan and blend in flour until no lumps remain.
- Add margarine, onion, and other seasonings and cook until sauce thickens.
- Stir in macaroni and cheese.
- Bake uncovered in greased, 1-quart casserole at 400°F for 15 minutes or until slightly browned and bubbly.
- May be frozen before baking.