From my Grandmother’s Estate. Dated 1928.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- ½ cup grated Cheese
- 1-cup tomato sauce
- Mix and then sift all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the well-beaten egg to the liquid.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients very gradually and stir quickly.
- Add the melted shortening, egg whites and Cheese.
- Place on griddle and cook about 2 minutes on each side.
- Put a dollop of tomato sauce on each griddlecake when serving.