Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Luck and Money, or collards and black-eyed-peas, are traditionally eaten in the south on New Year's Day. There are a variety of ways to prepare them: this is one version.
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ package frozen chopped collard greens
- ½ lb ham, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 cup prepared rice
- 1 tsp sugar
- garlic powder
- dried onion
- shredded cheese (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, black-eyed peas and sugar.
- Add garlic and dried onions to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer uncovered for at least 10 minutes (longer is better).
- Add collards and ham, continue to cook for another 5–10 minutes, or until collards are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add rice, mixing thoroughly.
- Top with shredded cheese after serving if desired.
- Skip adding the rice, and serve over baked potatoes.
- Omit the ham to make this a vegetarian dish.