Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe is for 8 serves.
- 2 lb Green String beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 3 tbl olive oil
- 1 lb Lamb, boneless stewing, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 6 med Tomato, fresh, ripe, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped or 2 cups chopped, drained, canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp Salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg, preferably freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Ground allspice
- Spread the beans evenly in the bottom of a heavy 4 to 6 quart casserole, and set aside.
- In a heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- Add the Lamb and brown it, turning the pieces frequently with a spoon and regulating the heat so they color deeply and evenly without burning. #As they brown, transfer the pieces of Lamb to the casserole, placing them on top of the beans.
- Pour off all but a thin film of fat from the skillet, and in it cook the onions over moderate heat for 5 minutes, or until they are soft and transparent but not brown.
- Spread the onions over the Lamb and cover them with the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with salt, a few grindings of the pepper, the nutmeg and allspice.
- Place the casserole over low heat, cover tightly, and simmer without stirring for 1 hour, or until the beans and meat are tender.
- Serve at once from the casserole, accompanied, if you like, by steamed or boiled rice.