This recipe is for 8 serves.
- 2 lb Green String beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 3 tbl olive oil
- 1 lb Lamb, boneless stewing, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 6 med Tomato, fresh, ripe, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped or 2 cups chopped, drained, canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp Salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg, preferably freshly ground
- 1/2 tsp Ground allspice
- Spread the beans evenly in the bottom of a heavy 4 to 6 quart casserole, and set aside.
- In a heavy 10 to 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it.
- Add the Lamb and brown it, turning the pieces frequently with a spoon and regulating the heat so they color deeply and evenly without burning. #As they brown, transfer the pieces of Lamb to the casserole, placing them on top of the beans.
- Pour off all but a thin film of fat from the skillet, and in it cook the onions over moderate heat for 5 minutes, or until they are soft and transparent but not brown.
- Spread the onions over the Lamb and cover them with the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with salt, a few grindings of the pepper, the nutmeg and allspice.
- Place the casserole over low heat, cover tightly, and simmer without stirring for 1 hour, or until the beans and meat are tender.
- Serve at once from the casserole, accompanied, if you like, by steamed or boiled rice.