Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
For a shortcut, start with 2.5 cups of canned beans, drained and rinsed. This is MUCH better if you cook the beans yourself! The lemon juice and stock add flavor and lighten the texture. This recipe is also much better if you roast the garlic. It is easy to do—just put your oven on 375°F or so and put the cloves, WITH THE PEEL STILL ON, in until the peels turn a bit black, about 15 minutes. Let them cool and they peel very easily.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, oven roasted, and 1 clove, chopped
- zest of one lemon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- Add chickpeas, bay leaf and vegetable stock to 2 – 3 quart pot. Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer covered for 2½ hours, or until tender.
- After cooking, drain the chickpeas of any remaining liquid and reserve the stock.
- Transfer chickpeas to a food processor and purée.
- Add lemon juice and continue to puree. Gradually add some of the reserved bean stock if a creamier texture is desired.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add salt to taste and serve a room temperature or chilled.