Figs, Whole, Dried by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 12
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup eggs (2 eggs)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1¼ cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Grease and flour an 8”x12” pan. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place figs in a bowl; pour boiling water over the top and sprinkle with baking soda. Mix and allow to stand until cool.
- Combine oil and sugar. Blend in eggs, applesauce, vanilla, salt, and cocoa.
- Add flour alternately with cooled fig mixture.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.