The crockpot does wonders for lean cuts of beef, which can be tough and chewy. A day in the crockpot makes it meltingly tender. The beauty of this all-in-one meal is that beef is just one part of this stew, so you really don't need to use more than ¾ of a pound to feed six people. Added protein and fiber comes from the black-eyed peas.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: About.Com Low Fat Cooking Guide
- Serves 6
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 8-ounce pack sliced mushrooms
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ pound lean stewing beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups no-salt added tomato sauce
- Coat a 4 to 5 quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add vegetables, followed by black-eyed peas, bay leaves, beef, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
Nutritional information Edit
Per Serving: Calories 276 | Calories from fat 38 | total fat 4.2g (sat 1.4g) | cholesterol 32 mg | sodium 114 mg | carbohydrate 38.1 | fiber 9.1g | protein 21.3g