Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 10 servings
- ½ cup butter, margarine, or oil
- ⅔ cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sliced green onion tops, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ground red pepper
- 2 quarts hot chicken broth or water
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked rice
- filé powder
- Melt butter in large heavy pot (cast iron preferred).
- Blend in flour and stir over medium-low heat until roux is dark brown.
- Add onions, celery and green pepper; cook until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in garlic, ¼ cup onion tops, parsley, bay leaves, salt, and pepper; add hot broth.
- Simmer 2 hours.
- Add shrimp and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ¼ cup onion tops.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Stir in small amount of filé (⅛ teaspoon per cup) and top each with a mound of rice.