Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 lb (2 cups) small navy beans, soaked
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 small dried red chilies, seeded
- 15 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 6 oz tomato paste, canned
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 7 cup water, or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅛ tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 20 sprig fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2½ tsp salt
- 10 sprig fresh cilantro, chopped
- cider vinegar, or red wine vinegar, optional
- Rinse and pick over the beans and soak them overnight in a bowl of water to cover.
- Drain and proceed with the recipe.
- For the quick-soak method, place the beans in a large soup pot and add 10 cups of hot water.
- Bring them to a rolling boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the beans stand in the cooking water for at least 1 hour, and preferable longer.
- Drain the beans and proceed with the recipe.
- The older the beans, the longer they will take to cook.
- In a large soup pop over medium high heat, heat the oil, and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until tender; 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chilies, garlic, paprika, pepper, and cumin.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 1 cup of the water or broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans, the remaining 6 cups water or broth, the bay leaves, cayenne, and 10 of the parsley sprigs tied together with cotton string.
- Mince the remaining parsley and se t aside.
- Lower the heat to medium low, cover, and cook the beans until tender, 1 to 2 hours.
- Before serving, discard the chilies, bay leaves, and tied parsley.
- Season with salt.
- Stir in the reserved minced parsley and cilantro.
- Serve hot with vinegar on the side, if you like.