Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Tim Love on the Lonesome Dove Trail — Recipes of Urban Western Cuisine
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup fresh peaches, sliced with or without peeling
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- peanut oil for frying
Cinnamon sweet cream Edit
- Mix together all dry ingredients for the dough, keeping the tablespoon of flour for patting out the dough.
- Add shortening, blending it into the dough with a fork to form crumbles.
- Add the chicken stock to the mixture and blend until mixture becomes tacky to the touch.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Melt butter in a saute pan.
- Add flour, stirring until mixture becomes golden brown.
- Add fresh fruit, sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- Remove from stove and allow mixture to cool completely, or chill in refrigerator until needed.
- Divide dough into balls and roll out dough to -inch thickness.
- Form dough into 4-inch rounds.
- Place heaping tablespoons of fruit filling in center of dough rounds.
- Moisten edges of dough with water and fold over center, forming half-rounds.
- Press sides together to seal and crimp edges.
- Fry empanadas in heavy skillet until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients for cinnamon sweet cream and whip until soft peaks form.
- Serve with warm empanadas.