Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 6 pounds pork loin with bones
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, ground
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 8 medium Bermuda onions
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wipe loin with a damp cloth then split the back and scrape or feather bones for easy carving and set aside.
- In a mortar with a pestle pound the garlic, salt, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne to a smooth paste.
- Blend in the sugar, vinegar and sage and mix well.
- Rub this mixture over the entire surface of the pork loin.
- Place the loin on a rack in a roasting pan large enough to hold the meat, sweet potatoes and onions then let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Rub meat with 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Rub sweet potatoes with another tablespoon of the oil and arrange them around the loin.
- Cut a cross on top of each onion going halfway through.
- Rub onions with the remaining oil and arrange them on the roasting rack around the loin and the sweet potatoes.
- Roast in the middle level of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit in a warm spot for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer loin to a serving platter then sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper in the middle of the opened onions then arrange them and the sweet potatoes around the roast and serve.