A different, nummy little meatloaf, with a surprise inside!
- 1 egg
- 1 (14 ounces) jar garlic and onion pasta sauce (1¾ cups)
- ¼ cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices prosciutto or ham, about 2 oz (thin slices)
- 1 (9 ounces) package refrigerated fettuccine or spinach fettuccine
- finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine egg, ¼ cup of the pasta sauce, the fine dry bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add ground beef, mix well.
- Cut mozzarella cheese into four logs measuring approximately 2¼x¼x½ inches.
- Wrap a slice of prosciutto or ham around each cheese log.
- Shape one fourth of the ground beef mixture around each cheese log to form a loaf.
- Flatten the four meat loves to 1½ inches thick and place in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake loaves, uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or till meat is done.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions, and heat remaining pasta sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat till bubbly.
- Arrange meat loaves over hot cooked pasta on a serving plate.
- Spoon sauce over top and if desired sprinkle with cheese.