- In boiling water, quickly boil off veal (4 – 6 minutes).
- Do not put meat in until water is at full boil.
- Remove from water, drain and wash veal.
- In large stew pot, place all ingredients, except mushrooms, butter, and sour cream.
- Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes until meat and carrots are nearly done.
- Then mix ½ cup broth in a bowl (so the cream does not curdle).
- Add sour cream and mix to make a gravy.
- Add to stew with mushrooms and butter and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with fresh rye bread.