Linguine with Olives, Eggplant and Artichokes from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 baby eggplants, quartered
- 2½ cups canned peeled tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 x 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 12 oz linguine
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, lemon juice and eggplant and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occassionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar and tomato paste then raise heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts and olives and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cook linguine according to package instructions. Drain pasta and add to a large bowl. Toss with remaining olive oil. Add tomato mixture and toss well to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately garnished with fresh basil.