Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
I have been told hundreds of times that this is the best lime pie my friends and acquaintances have ever had, and have had requests for it at every pot luck and party. I truly believe that the limes from my yard in PR are the reason. They have the most incredible flavor. But another factor is that the filling is slightly tart. The Sugar content of most lime pies masks the lemony flavor. Your limes should be juicy. If not, increase the number of them. My limes (actually, "limon") are around 1½ inches in diameter and juicy. You can experiment with yours. Except for the crust which must be regular, not graham cracker (again too sweet), the preparation is simple and quick. The pie contains no eggs, and will not be stiff. If you prefer a stiffer pie, add an ingredient like "Whip It" to the cream. The lack of stiffness does not affect the wonderful flavor nor the rave reviews that this pie gets!
- 1 pie crust (regular, not graham cracker)
- finely shredded unsweetened chocolate squares or cocoa, to sprinkle across top of finished pie (optional)
- 7 – 8 juicy limes (1½ inches in diameter)
- 1 (14 ounces) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pint whipping cream (for lower fat option, use non dairy whipped topping in place of whipping cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prick bottom of pie shell to prevent a dome from forming.
- Bake pie crust until golden brown.
- In the meantime, squeeze the juice from 7 or 8 limes, and remove the seeds.
- Whip ½ of the cream (½ pint) with the vanilla, and add it to the sweetened condensed milk in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix gently.
- Add the lime juice and gently stir until completely mixed.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After the crust has completely cooled, pour in the filling.
- If desired, whip more of the cream and cover the top of the pie with a thin layer.
- bitter shredded chocolate or cocoa can be sprinkled on top if desired.
- Keep the pie refrigerated until served.
- A few times, i have rolled pecan chips into the unbaked crust.
- People loved the added texture and flavor of the pecans.