Got this from a family I stayed with in Sorrento, Italy. Don't want to lose it. Can be made with either lemons or oranges. The Italian tradition is to use lemons since they are so abundant in the Almalfi coast. Americans showed me how to make this low sugar/low carb by substituting "Splenda" instead of sugar.
- 1440 hours 720 hrs prep
- 15 lemons
- 2 (1500 ml) bottles vodka, high quality (do not use flavored vodka like Smirnoff twist)
- 4 cups sugar or Splenda sugar substitute
- 5 cups water
- 2 bottles
- Take a large glass jar.
- Large enough to hold to bottle of 750ml vodka.
- Add one of the bottles of vodka into the jar.
- Save the other bottle of vodka for later.
- Grate the zest of the 15 lemons into the jar of vodka.
- Cover jar tightly and let sit at room temperature for 30-40 days.
- The longer it rests- the better it will taste.
- No need to shake or stir the contents- all you have to do is be patient and wait.
- As the limoncello sits, the vodka takes the flavor and yellow color from the lemon peels.
- After 30-40 days, take the sugar (or Splenda) and place into a pan.
- Add the water and cook for about 7 minutes- until it becomes a thick sauce or syrup.
- Let the sugar mixture cool.
- Then open the lid on the jar of lemon and vodka mixture and add the sugar mixture into the jar.
- Add the 2nd bottle of vodka.
- Close lid on jar tightly and let it sit again for another 30-40 days.
- After the 30-40 days has passed, strain the lemon peel (lemon zest) and discard the zest (peel).
- Pour the remaining liquid, which is now lemoncello into bottles and place into the freezer until ready to serve.