Fruit & Vegetable of the Month: Limes by the US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 16 large shrimp, uncooked, deveined
- 3 large limes
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, cleaned and chopped
- 10 medium cherry tomatoes, rinsed and dried
- 10 small white-button mushrooms, wiped clean and stems removed
- In a glass measuring cup, squeeze limes, yielding ¼ cup of juice.
- Add the garlic, pepper, olive oil, and cilantro and stir.
- Place the shrimp in a medium bowl and pour the cilantro lime marinade over the shrimp.
- Let the shrimp marinate for 10 to 15 minutes in the refrigerator (do not let them marinate for more than 30 minutes as the acid of the juice will alter the texture of the shrimp).
- While waiting, alternate cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and shrimp on four skewers.
- Grill the skewers over a medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until the shrimp are just cooked through.