- 1 Tbs. unflavored gelatin
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. cold water
- 2-3 tsp. grated lime peel
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 c. Sugar, divide
- 1 baked, 9" pie shell
- 1/3 c. lime juice
- 1/2 c. heavy cream, whipped
- Green food coloring
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Beat egg yolks, add 1/2 cup Sugar, lime juice, and salt.
- Cook over hot water stirring constantly, until thickened. Add lime peel and gelatin.
- Stir until gelatin is dissolved and add food coloring to tint a soft pale green. Cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, adding remaining Sugar slowly. Fold into lime mixture.
- Pour into pie shell, chill until firm. Garnish with whipped cream or meringue.