Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Serves: 4
- 2 Cornish game hens, each about 1¼ lbs
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Cut the wing tips off the hens.
- With poultry shears, cut down along both sides of the hen's backbone to remove it and discard.
- Open the hen up and cut it in half down the center of the breast.
- Repeat with the other hen.
- In a measuring cup, stir together the lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, orange zest, and red pepper flakes.
- Put the hens in a resealable plastic freezer bag; pour in the marinade.
- Seal the bag and squish it so the marinade coats evenly.
- Place the bag in a bowl in case of leaks.
- Marinate the hens in the refrigerator at least 2 hrs or overnight.
- Heat a barbecue grill to medium.
- Oil the grill.
- Remove the hens from the marinade.
- Drain the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a full boil, and boil for 2 mins.
- Place the hens skin side down on the grill.
- Baste with some marinade.
- Grill until lightly browned on the underside, about 10 minutes.
- Use a metal spatula to loosen the hens and turn.
- Continue grilling, basting occasionally, and turning and moving as necessary, until no longer pink in the thickest part, 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Discard any remaining marinade.
- Serve the hens, removing the skin before eating.
If you like spicy, use ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes or add a minced chili to the marinade. For deepest flavor, marinate the hens overnight.