Serve as a side dish, or, believe it or not, over spaghetti.
- Recipe from sneakykitchen.com
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine (or water or chicken broth)
- 1 can (16 oz) lima beans, drained or 10 oz pkg frozen limas, cooked
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp dried oregano flakes
- ½ tsp dried basil
- black pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet or chicken fryer over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion, green pepper and celery and sauté until onion starts to brown.
- Add garlic and sauté a minute longer.
- Add white wine and drained limas and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until wine is mostly reduced.
- Add tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer another ten minutes.