A word about substitutes in this recipe. I use low sodium products in everything, so feel free to use them too. Serve this menu with nice, crusty bread or rolls and add a green salad or soup if you wish.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 servings
- 8 ounces ground round
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1⅔ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups uncooked medium noodles
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons plain non-fat yogurt
- Coat a large frying pan with nonstick spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Crumble the beef into the pan.
- Add the onions, celery, apples and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the mixture with a wooden spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the meat is lightly browned.
- Stir in the broth, thyme, caraway seeds and noodles.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the noodles are just tender.
- Stir in the paprika and tomato paste.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the yogurt and serve.