Source: The New McDougall Cookbook
- 6½ quarts water
- 2 cup white wine or unsweetened apple juice
- 6 celery, thickly sliced
- 6 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 3 med zucchini, thickly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, clean thickly sliced
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ lbs mushrooms, cleaned and left whole
- 10 peppercorns
- large sprigs fresh parsley
- large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Place all of the ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer over low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain the broth and discard the vegetables.
- Freeze in 1- to 2-cup containers for use in recipes calling for vegetable stock or broth.