Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Algerian braised lamb shanks with prunes
- 3 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon of semolina flour
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 100 grams of prunes
- 100 grams of dried apricots
- 100 grams of almonds
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 pinches of saffron
- olive oil
- Add the lamb, carrot and onion to a dutch oven with about 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle on about 1 tablespoon of salt and the semolina flour.
- Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- The lamb will not brown much at all, but the carrots and onions will begin to caramelize just a bit.
- Lower the heat if they begin to color too quickly.
- Turn the shanks midway through cooking.
- Add the turmeric and almonds plus 1 cup of water.
- Cook on very low heat for about 2 – 2½ hours, turn the meat every 30 minutes or so, add more water if the sauce reduces too much.
- Add the saffron, prunes and apricots, stir.
- Cook for 20 minutes, add the honey and turn up the heat to reduce the sauce.
- It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- The meat should be very tender, almost falling off the bone.