Makes 6 servings
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3½ cups water
- 1½ cups lentils
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed oregano leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in Dutch oven 2 to 3 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Add water, lentils, vinegar, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add carrots; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until lentils and carrots are tender (some liquid should remain).
- Serve with hot fluffy rice.