Contributed by Healthy Recipes For diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook For People With Diabetes
- Makes: 6 Servings
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth or one 14 oz can beef or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup dried lentils, washed
- 1 x 16 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- ¼ to ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add the broth and Lentils. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their liquid, ½ cup water, and the remaining ingredients; Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water if the mixture becomes too dry.
Nutritional information Edit
Per ⅔ cup serving:
- 131 Calories | 8g Protein | 324mg Sodium | 0mg Cholesterol | 3g Fat | 20g Carbs
- Exchanges: 1 starch | 1 vegetable | ½ fat