Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes For diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 10 to 12 Servings.
- 2 large onions (about 1 pound)
- 2 medium ribs celery
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 medium turnips (about 12 ounces), peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (ground coriander can be substituted)
- 10 ounces fresh spinach or frozen leaf spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon salt or to taste
- coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- 3 lemons, quartered, or sumac powder
- In a food processor with a metal blade, chop the onions coarsely. Remove and chop the celery.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and sauté the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, garlic and diced turnips, and sauté just until softened and lightly golden. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, mix the rinsed lentils, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 30 minutes, skimming the top if foam develops on the surface.
- Toast the whole cumin and coriander seeds in a dry skillet, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add to the pot together with the sautéed vegetables. Cover and simmer over low heat an additional 30 minutes to 45 minutes. If using fresh spinach, rinse, pat dry, trim stems and tear leaves into bit-sized pieces.
- Stir fresh or thawed and drained spinach into the soup, season with salt and pepper, and cook 15 minutes.
- If the soup is too thick, add boiling water until the desired consistency is reached.
- Check and adjust seasoning. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with lemon quarters or sprinkle with sumac.
Nutrional information Edit
- Calories 173 | Fat 5g | Carbs 24g | Sodium 625 Mg | Fiber 9g