Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 2 quarts chicken stock (or your choice)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped or sliced
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter, less if desired
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon cumin, to taste
- Wash Lentils thoroughly and soak if desired.
- I never soak them, and they always seem to cook up quickly.
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Add quartered Onion, garlic, tomato and Lentils.
- Return to boil, then lower heat and allow to simmer, partially covered, until Lentils are tender.
- The amount of time will depend on the freshness of the Lentils and whether or not they were soaked, but plan on an hour to an hour and a half.
- Over-cooking wouldn't be a problem since this is a blended soup, but under-cooking would.
- As Lentils approach tenderness, melt butter in a small frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Add thinly sliced Onion and allow to fry until very dark brown.
- Add cumin, saute briefly.
- Add mixture to soup and stir through.
- Ladle one ladle-full of soup at a time into a blender or food processor.
- Using a dishtowel, hold lid down and process soup until homogenous.
- When soup has been completely pureed, return to a pot and reheat until ready to serve.